Monday, April 5, 2010

The Worst Thing That Could Ever Happen

(I meant to post this before Easter Weekend, but... yeah, didn't happen.)

Sometimes when life is particularly rough, or I need an attitude change, I like to remind myself that whatever I am dealing with is certainly not the worst thing that could ever happen. What I am experiencing is usually nothing compared to all of the awful things that happen and have happened for centuries. I have never experienced rape, murder, torture, genocide, starvation, or abuse. I have never dealt seriously with disease or death. Really, compared to these things, my life has been pretty fantastic.

The other day I was thinking these things, and I suddenly wondered what the very worst thing that has ever happened is. Usually I am not a very morbid person at all, but I genuinely just wondered. Almost as soon as I thought it, I knew the answer. The very worst thing that could ever happen would be for the most pure, innocent, righteous being in existence to experience the most terrible, horrible forms of torture and death.

Have you ever thought about that before? That Jesus' death was the very most unjust, terrible thing that has ever happened? I mean, can you think of anything at all that could be worse? I certainly can't. There are lots of terrible things I can imagine, but I cannot come up with anything even close to the Son of God, the only person ever to be completely blameless and without sin, having to suffer the anguish of taking all the sins of the world ever on his shoulders. That's just... I don't even have a word to describe how awful that is.

But you wanna know what the most amazing part is? God took the very worst thing that could ever happen... and turned it into the very best thing that could ever happen! It was through Jesus' death and resurrection that we can be made right with God. Have you ever stopped to consider how truly amazing that is? I have been thinking about it for days, and I just cannot get over it. I just keep thinking, if God can use the worst thing ever to accomplish the best thing ever, he can do ANYTHING! He can redeem ANYONE! He can work ANY SITUATION for good according to his perfect plans.

Let this bring you comfort in whatever you are going through right now. If God can do the very best through the very worst, just imagine what he can do in our situations!

No comments:

Post a Comment